A Cosmopolitan Cosmology

This is a collaborative arts project based on Sherkin Island, West Cork, Ireland.
From June 21 2009 - December 21 2009 we used pinhole cameras to record solargraph images on the islands of Roaring Water Bay and its environs. Cameras were distributed among the Sherkin Diaspora reaching far and wide. This blog documents the process and solargraphs created. For current work please see my website

some solargraphs

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Cape Clear Island June 14

From Cape Clear June 14

Today I traveled to Cape Clear Island and met some of the remarkable people who live and work on the Island. We had done a pinhole camera workshop together last May. In the warm sunshine I remembered how cold it had been on that May Bank Holiday weekend and was relieved to be enjoying the fragrant warmth of the Summer.

I left 15 solargraph cameras on the Island, with basic instructions on how to position the cameras. I am looking forward to seeing the snapshots of the cans in situ and the chosen scenes for the extended exposures.

Cape Clear Island is wonderful place - getting on the ferry Cailin Oir in Baltimore is the first step in a journey that takes me away from whatever might be weighing on my mind.

You never know who you might meet in the random assortment of travelers assembled on the after deck of the ferry. Sometimes I have just passed the time in a daze enjoying the motion of the boat through the water, but today I met some friends I had not seen for almost a decade and I was so glad to have made that connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment